Director Sam Raimi has confirmed his intention to commence shooting Spider-Man 4 in March 2010, adding that casting is about to get underway.
He also confirms the return of Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker (aka Spider-Man) and Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane, but adds that no other casting has taken place, shedding doubt on earlier rumors that Bruce Campbell had been cast as a major villain. Of course, that doesn’t mean Campbell hasn’t been in talks to be cast as a major villain, and given casting is about to get underway, I imagine we’ll be hearing more on that soon.
“None of the casting has really taken place, but we’re starting to think about that now,” the director said. “The production is starting to come together,” Raimi told MTV.
“I’ve got a production designer who is starting to design the sets and the environments that the picture will take place in. We just brought aboard Scott Stokdyk as one of the two visual effects supervisors, and I worked with him on all three ‘Spider-man’ pictures.”
Gary Ross (Pleasantville / Creature From The Black Lagoon) is rewriting the screenplay from David Lindsay-Abaire (Robots / Inkheart) who, in turn, rewrote James Vanderbilt’s (Darkness Falls) original script.
“He’s working on a draft,” Raimi said of Ross. “I just gave him some notes and he’s doing a rewrite right now.”
Producers are Laura Ziskin, Avi Arad, Todd Black and Grant Curtis. Executive producers are Stan Lee, Todd Hallowell and Josh Donen.
MTV also hint that Raimi disclosed exclusive information to them about which villains might be turning up in the film, and that they’ll post details about that in the coming days. Might we hear a hint of Mysterio, and could that lead to a Bruce Campbell casting announcement after all?
Spider-Man 4 will be released May 5, 2011.